2 June 2022; 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Venue: Tonino Lamborghini International Convention Center Sharm El Sheikh (Sinai Hall)
The IsDB Global Forum on Islamic Finance was initiated in 2006 to provide a platform for strategic policy dialogue and sharing of experiences of countries and institutions toward the development of the various segments of the Islamic Financial sector. The annual forum also promotes cooperation and knowledge sharing and explores the key challenges to the sector’s development, and how to enhance its competitiveness and stability.
This year’s edition of the forum will focus on the role of social innovation and entrepreneurship in facing socioeconomic challenges and poverty in IsDB MCs. The Forum will include two interrelated sessions. The first is dedicated to the partnership between IsDB Institute (IsDBI) and the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI). The two institutions have jointly developed a Multidimensional Poverty Analysis, using the updated global MPI and its intertemporal trends in IsDB Member Countries (MCs). This analysis has become more relevant and critical in the wake of massive reversals of gains in poverty reduction driven by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The second session focuses on the role of social innovation and entrepreneurship in addressing socioeconomic challenges and poverty. In recent dialogues, there is a growing consensus that the intractable social problems facing humanity are almost impossible to address through traditional vehicles such as government policy and/or market intervention. The situation has been exacerbated by the huge impact that the pandemic has had on the global economy. As such, novel ways to address the world’s socioeconomic challenges are tackled.
Key issues to be addressed:
- How have acute poverty trends changed over time in Egypt?
- In what ways will COVID-19 transform the fight against multidimensional poverty in IsDB MCs, such as Egypt?
- How does the global MPI compare to other measures of poverty in Egypt, including monetary measures, economic growth, and other national poverty metrics?
- What is the role of social innovation and social entrepreneurship in addressing poverty?
- Why is there a growing need for innovative solutions to the emerging socioeconomic challenges of IsDB MCs?
- How can Islamic finance promote social innovation and entrepreneurship in IsDB MCs?